For those seeking certification by the American Board of Examiners in Psychodrama, Sociometry and Group Psychotherapy and/or by the North American Drama Therapy Association, all training hours can be applied toward certification according to the standards and procedures of the two certifying bodies. If you live in a country in which there is a different certifying body, check with them to see if they have a reciprocal agreement with these boards. Motivational Arts Unlimited is developing a Certificate Program to assist students in tracking their training hours and experiences. (For more information: www.psychodramacertification.org and www.nadta.org)
Professionals in many fields (counseling, therapy, education, law, business management, etc.) may also be interested in training apart from certification.
When workshops are sponsored by an organization, training institute, school, etc., fees are on a contract basis for half-day, full-day, and multiple-day sessions. Several workshop offerings can easily be combined into multiple-day programs.
In addition to the workshops outlined below which focus on action techniques, please see training workshops for Human Service Providers for examples of topic-specific workshops.
Introduction to Action Methods: an overview of basic techniques of psychodrama and drama therapy.
Sociometry Techniques and Strategies: an overview of sociometric techniques for building and assessing connections within groups.
The Social/Cultural Atom: utilizing the original Social Network Map to asses and set goals for relationship repair.
Fundamentals of Psychodrama Directing: exploring and practicing psychodrama directing skills (beginning, intermediate, and advanced levels.)
Overview of the Therapeutic Spiral Model: understanding the basic elements of the Therapeutic Spiral Model for the safe utilization of psychodrama with survivors of trauma.
The following comments are a sampling of evaluation responses from graduate students and participants in action-methods training workshops in various settings:
- University should hire Mario to teach the other teachers how to teach.
- I appreciated the way in which the facilitator was able to engage both students and staff in this interactive workshop. It really helped us begin to see the issues from each other’s points of view.
- Mario is an incredible presenter. He knows his material, there is no doubt about that. But he presents it in such a fun and energetic manner that I forget that I am engaged in learning.
- The experience of this day-long training really helped me to develop a more clear understanding of the issues. Having the opportunity to practice interventions without the pressure to get it right was very empowering.
- I was totally engrossed in the learning experience. I had fun and I was able to express my thoughts while taking in the ideas of my colleagues. Bravo!